Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Resonator Baritone No. 4


I made this baritone guitar out of a very nice brand new Maestro resonator bass and it is the fourth resonator baritone I have made. I use one regular .013 guitar string and strings out of a set of D’Addario EXL170-12 Regular Light Gauge bass strings for the rest of the guitar. The guitar is strung .013, .018, .025w, .035, .045, and .080 and it works remarkably well. I have it tuned A – A at the moment but have tested it with the following open tunings:

G-C-G-D-E-G – Plays like open G but is really open C

G-D-G-E-D-G – Plays like open D but is really open G

A-E-A-C#-E-A – Plays like open E but is really open A


The top and back are tobacco sunburst and the sides are black. The resonator is a spider cone and the saddle is the original hardwood – ash I believe. The pickup is a regular under saddle type and not particularly made for resonator guitars but it works well. The down side of that type of pickup is that you cannot adjust the spider without taking the cover off. In later guitars I may change this but this is how it came with the bass. It sounds great as it is but it would probably “honk” more with a National or Quarterman cone. I have the action set pretty high at the moment for easy open tuning slide play. If you are new to slide I would recommend you keep it there but I would be glad to lower it before shipping if you would like.  I am selling it without a case on eBay for $625. For an additional $10 I will include a nut extender that allows the guitar to be played lap style with a tone bar that you will need to get – there are many styles. For regular slide play you will need to find the one that you like the best, personally I prefer brass but glass, stainless steel, and copper are also popular. Sold - Thanks William!


Specifications:

Scale Length:                34 inches
Nut Width:                    1 11/16 inches
Total Length:                49 inches
Body Length:                19 ¾ inches
Upper Bout Width:       11 ¼ inches
Lower Bout Width        15 ¾ inches
Body Depth:                 3 ¼ inches






No comments:

Post a Comment