Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Johnson JG-B52 EN Fretless - Take II

If you are looking for a truly unique musical instrument with a truly unique sound, this could be it. I bought this Johnson JG-B52 EN as a hulk off of eBay with no tuners, electronics or pickup. Unfortunately the seller forgot to mention that the neck was also cracked – hopefully out of ignorance. I have glued and clamped the crack and the neck is straight and will never be a problem but I ended taking the finish off the back of the neck smoothing things out. I painted over the finish with black enamel and now none of the neck work is visible.

That that said, this is a pretty nice guitar. It has a spruce top, mahogany neck and side, a beautiful rosewood fingerboard, and an iridescent abalone rosette. I added gold tuners to match the logo on the headstock. I know next to nothing about playing fretless guitars but the action is low and it is easy to raise and lower the action and it sounds great both acoustically and amplified.  The guitar has a truss for adjustment. If you would like to play this guitar as a lap steel guitar, for $10 and I’ll ad a nut extender. I am selling this guitar on eBay for $425 without a case. As of this writing I do have a hard case available domestically for an additional $75. Compare this to the price of other commercially available fretless acoustic electric baritone guitars.


Specifications:

Scale Length:                34 inches
Nut Width:                    1 11/16
Total Length:                48 inches
Body Length:                21 inches
Upper Bout Width:       12 ½ inches
Lower Bout Width        17 inches
Body Depth:                 4 ½ inches







No comments:

Post a Comment