Sunday, April 10, 2011

Johnson JG-B52 EN Fretless

I bought this Johnson JG-B52 EN as a hulk off of eBay with no tuners, electronics or pickup. Unfortunately the seller forgot to mention that the neck was also cracked – hopefully out of ignorance. I have glued and clamped the crack and the neck is straight and will never be a problem but I ended taking the finish off the back of the neck smoothing things out. It is polished to a fine near-gloss satin finish and feels very nice but it is not the same color anymore. You can only see it from the back though. There is also a significant ding on the bottom corner of the headstock. 

That that said, this is a pretty nice guitar. It has a spruce top, mahogany neck and side, a beautiful rosewood fingerboard, and an iridescent abalone rosette. I added gold tuners to match the logo on the headstock and new electronics and pickup. I know next to nothing about playing fretless guitars but the action is low and it is easy to raise and lower the action and it sounds great both acoustically and amplified.  I will include a truss rod wrench. If you would like to play this guitar as a lap steel, for $10 and I’ll ad a nut extender.

Due to the cosmetic issues I am auctioning it on eBay for a starting price of my cost. If it doesn’t sell for at least that amount I will donate it to a local school music program and write it off. If you want a fretless baritone guitar, better grab this one. I don’t think I’ll be making any more of them soon. I like them but I don’t understand them and doubt I could ever play one to my satisfaction If you buy it and want a case for it, I have a gig bag that is a little too large I can let you have for $30.

Specifications:

Scale Length:                34 inches
Nut Width:                    1 11/16
Total Length:                48 inches
Body Length:                21 inches
Upper Bout Width:       12 ½ inches
Lower Bout Width        17 inches
Body Depth:                 4 ½ inches









No comments:

Post a Comment